Friday, January 17, 2020

Introduction to a Computer Engineering Student

Hello, my name is Nathaniel Vo.  I am a Junior Computer Engineering student here at the University of Oklahoma.  One of my favorite things about Computer Engineering is that it is basically 50% Computer Science and 50% Electrical Engineering, so the courses never get too stale.  One of my favorite things to do is to cook food.  I pride myself on cooking low-cost good food.  I am by no means a good cook, I just enjoy doing it in my spare time because I think it's really fun to do, it's a good skill to have, and it lets me express myself to other people.  I love to cook for my peers and loved ones because it displays my love for them.  I really enjoy listening to music in my free time.  I find myself usually mainly listening to Christian music, but whenever I listen to secular music, I listen to indie rock and alternative rock.  I like to play the bass guitar; back in my hometown of Broken Arrow, I played in the worship band for my church.  I really enjoy watching television shows and movies.  Some of my favorite TV shows are: "The Office", "Parks and Recreation", and "Freaks and Geeks".  Right now, I am currently catching up on a lot of anime that I haven't been keeping up with for a while.  I've also been reading One Piece manga.  It's been going on since 1997, but I'm pretty sure that it's ending soon, since all the pieces are finally coming together.  I like to eat healthy food as much as I can, but I find myself really loving a nice steak on the occasion.  I enjoy a good steak.  I also really like to eat bananas.  They're almost like a dessert to me.  I actually really love mathematics.  I've always had a knack for mathematics ever since a young age.  I've finished all of the Calculus Classes, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations.  However, a few semesters ago when I took Calculus 3, it was so terrible that I questioned whether or not I even liked math anymore.  However recently, I relearned Calculus 3 from one of my professors and he made it more intuitive.  So I have a deeper appreciation for the subject now, and I think it's actually much more interesting now.  My career goals are to just get a stable job and settle down for adulthood.  I'm not much of a book person.  I  My grades were pretty bad because of this, but I still made it!  Someday I'd really like to learn the guitar.  I've messed around on guitars, but I've never owned my own guitar and hope to do so someday.
This is a picture of one of my favorite foods, the banana.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Nathaniel!
    Another Computer Engineering student I see. That is pretty awesome. I will agree that The Office has to be one of the best shows ever created. It is intriguing that you like math classes. I know a lot of people who love them as well, but I have never been good at math, so I tend to try to avoid those classes at all cost ha. I hope you have a great semester this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathaniel! My hometown is also Broken Arrow. The Office is one of my favorite TV shows, too. My favorite episode is the one when Dwight starts a fire and they have to do a bunch of safety training for it. I found a love for cooking this year, but unfortunately I have a tendency to burn food. It's nice that you cook for your friends, I bet they enjoy that as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I read through your introduction, and in my first pass, I thought you said you mainly listen to Christmas music. I was just thinking to myself “huh…during all times of the year?” Now I see that you said Christian music and everything makes much more sense now.

    I absolutely HATE bananas. They are fun to spell, but they are squishy and disgusting. I can tolerate greener bananas but only when there are no other fruit around, and I feel guilty for not eating super healthy.

    I like math a lot too. The experience you had in Calc 3 I had in Calc 1, but that was mainly because of a teacher. I regained the passion in Linear Algebra, such a great class. I’m also fascinated with topology. I don’t know much about it, but I would love to take a class in it outside of college one day, so I don’t have to worry about obliterating my GPA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Nathaniel!

    I love that you have an interest in cooking and affordable cooking at that! I have acquired a love for trying out new things and new recipes and I must say that my crockpot is the best present that I have ever been given! I also enjoy listening to Christian music. I usually have it playing on my radio in my car everyday- I think that it honestly allows for a good start and ending to every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Nathaniel!

    That is awesome that you love to cook especially with the intent of keeping it low cost. I just recently started trying to cook for myself more, learning new recipes and it has been so fun. I love that you love math as well. Math was always my favorite subject growing up, and I hardly ever meet people who agree. Good luck in the class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nathaniel! Here we are..... again! It is always better meeting someone a second time in an online course: the first time, I read the Introductions and it is all fun and cool, but what the person says doesn't sink in the same way as when it's an Introduction from someone I know. Now I can connect calculus and bananas to the person I know, not just a name on the Canvas roster.
    And seeing that you are doing CS and EE, I really will try to lobby you to play with Twine this semester and see what you think of that as a combined storytelling/programming space. For an example of Twine with some real coding, check out this game that a student made last year, inspired by flood mythology: Utnapishtim ... not to give too much away, but as I recall, one winning strategy is definitely to show some respect for the gods!
    I would also like to learn guitar someday. This Christmas I got myself a really cool musical instrument that is incredibly easy to play; it's a kalimba. It doesn't have a big range, but I've learned to play some songs that sound pretty good... and an instrument that you can play literally out of the box is very satisfying indeed.
    For the guitar, I might have to wait until I am retired. Or at least until I have a long empty summer... which sounds pretty good right about now in a cold and busy January! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Nathanial!
    Nice to meet you! It seems like you are a very musically talented person! I played in my schools small small drumline and I've played in a few bands, so I know how hard it is to try to work together, but also how much fun it can be when it really gets going! I wish you the best of luck with guitar, but it should be doable with your other experience in music! I listen to a lot of AltRock (Portugal. The Man is my favorite!), and if you ever read one of my posts, feel free to give me some good Alt Music recommendations! Good luck with everything this semester, and I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Nathaniel!

    It was great getting to know you through your blog. I have a friend who is majoring in computer science so he tells all the time about how much calculus there is. I think its super cool that you love math and what you’re majoring in. I enjoyed math growing up and was good at it but since my major doesn’t require a lot of math, my calculus skills have gone down the drain. What anime are you watching? I’m also a huge fan of anime. Right now, I’m watching 7 Deadly Sins and so far I’m really enjoying it. Anyway, I can’t wait to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nathaniel!

    What a fun intro! I have always loved math. It has been my favorite subject since I was a kid. One thing I wish I could do is go back and become an engineer so I could take more math. Computer engineering sounds like so much fun! I also love to cook as well. I think I am half decent, but I am definitely not a 5 star chef haha. It was great to read your introduction! I wish you the best for the rest of this unconventional semester.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nathaniel,
    That is really cool that your major allows you to learn about different things, but at the same time they will come together and help you in your future career. I love what I am studying, but I can admit it can get stale at times doing very similar assignments in every class that I am taking. If those are your favorite shows, I think you would really enjoy watching Scrubs.

    ReplyDelete