Thursday, January 16, 2020

StoryBook Favorites

Flood Stories
I really thought this one was good because it provided a "quick" introduction to Epics of India for me.  I do not have much background in the subject so the stories helped give a quick insight.  I really liked that the stories for this storybook were relatively short and easy to digest.  Then at the end, it gives a background of the topic that was written about.  Personally, I would have liked to have the "Author's Note" at the beginning of the page so that whenever I read the story, I already have the background of the setting of the story. 

Syrup, Sand, and Stories
I really liked this one because, come on, who doesn't like Waffle House.  But jokes aside, the stories use a common theme of Waffle House as a humor device in order to convey the stories of the Egyptian gods.  I also thought that it was really cool that they edited the pictures for their stories.  In each of them, while there is a picture of Egyptian art, they also added bits and pieces of Waffle House items. I actually thought that it was very clever to include a youtube video at the beginning of each story as a sound clip.  It gets you even more in the story while listening to the music. 

Jake's Story
I would have liked to see an "author's note" for the first story.  Reading the first story, it felt like a quick summary of one of King Arthur's Journeys ( I don't know if it was actually one of his journey's or this was an original story by the author of this storybook).  So the author's note should detail the background behind the story informing if the story is original or just a summary.  I wasn't necessarily a fan of the fact that the first story had a different font compared to the rest of the stories in the story book.  But despite the criticism on only the first story, the rest of the stories are really great.  The stories are all original and creative.  They all follow the same theme between Arthur and foxes.  I really like the Author's Notes for all of them since they really give a good background. 


Picture in the "Intro" story from "Syrup, Sand, and Stories" storybook

No comments:

Post a Comment