Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Tech Tip: Text Editor

Since I have previously taken the Myth. and Folklore course a few semesters ago, it seems that I have exhausted most of the recommended tech tips.  However, luckily, I have a few tech tips that I use that are not listed. 

Text editing is extremely important and useful to do when working digitally.  Not even overstating it, tech files are the most used and useful types of files for any use on a computer.  Virtually every file is derived from a text file in some form of shape. 

The standard text editor is notepad for windows and textedit for macOS.  However, both are fairly function-deficient in terms of use.  A few recommendations I have are: vi/vim/nanovim (different forks of vi), emacs, and notepad++.  Personally, I use vim on my Linux device.  I will admit that vi forks and emacs have a steep learning curve since there is no user interface.  However, when you learn it, you will never have to take your hands off the keyboard since there are so many hotkeys that allow you to traverse the text file in an instant (much faster than using a mouse).  As for Windows, I'm not entirely sure if vim is supported, but I know that notepad++ is available (and fairly easy to use). 

As for purposes of this class, I think that using a text file in order to write for the assignments is very useful.  You don't have to pull up any online writing site (similar to the writing in webpage tech tip) such as Google Docs or Blogger.  The text file is local to your system.  It's extremely fast and you don't have to rely on any other factor.  Personally, since I have to deal with many text files, it's very efficient to learn these text editors in order to increase my productivity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment